Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Sad day...January 6th, 2010...

Wednesday at 3:29 a.m. we got a call from Richard (Chris' brother that lives on the property) that our animal barn was in flames...it was too late to save anything.  Chris quickly drove up there and picked up dad on the way.
We lost over 50 animals...we lost our daddy pig (Goggles - named by Cyrus), several mama pigs with all the babies that had been born in the last two months and our seven horses --- which included Pete that we had just given our kids for Christmas and Pixie my nieces horse that she got this fall, and five horses that my father-in-law has had for many many years.

(The barn the next day)
All winter hay for the sheep (they are fine, as they were outside) and feed for the chickens and pigs were also in the barn.  
I think the hardest part was telling the kids. 
We waited until late Wednesday night because we had Purple Porch Coop that night and we knew that we wouldn't be able to keep it together.

RIP Pete (the kids Christmas horse) (when I introduced Pete)


RIP Pixie (Olivia's horse)

The kids are hanging in there....Cyrus has picked out the color red for the new barn and Grandpa, Jackson and Gideon have been out in the woods looking for trees for the new barn.  It will be a slow process, but we had over 50 pigs in another structure with all our chickens so we will survive.  It is just alot of loss to go through...in one lifetime.

We are overwhelmed by all of the people that have offered help and I am glad the kids are able to witness all of the love and support that comes from this pain, while this will forever change us, it can only make us stronger.

Thank you....Michelle

8 comments:

  1. That is very sad! I am sorry to hear that. We get our meat and dairy from familyfarms and really want to support what you guys too. Hearing of the loss makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for supporting us. That helps us in many many ways. We are looking forward to building a new barn as soon as the weather breaks.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I just came across your blog and am so saddened by the news of your many losses :(
    I am happy that the community has been so supportive during this time. Let me know if there is anything you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so, so sorry for your losses. How tragic. Prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are saddned by your loss and from one farmer to other we understand how hard it must be for you and your family. If our farm can offer you anything to help please let us know.
    Roseland Organic Farms

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Shelly...we will let you know if anything comes up!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful! I am a customer of Richard's in Illinois and have enjoyed all that the farmers offer in this cooperative. My family is very healthy which I partly attribute to our food choices. I am so sorry about the barn and the animals--I just found this out reading your post here. Do you know the cause of the fire?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Laura. We probably will never know the exact cause, but it was probably electrical, it was a very old barn. I am glad you have enjoyed our food. Thank you again for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete