Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wednesday, Wednesday... I love my Wednesday's!

I have to say Wednesday's are probably one of my best days of the week... I get to spend time at the Farm and get to see my husband more on this day since he is building his brother's house on the farm...just knowing he is in the next building is comforting.

Jorja May and I start our day heading to the farm to pack eggs.  I actually made a trip to see the barn (or what is left of the barn), I saw it the first time on Sunday, but made it up so late that really couldn't see how incredible it was... and got to take some pictures yesterday.



Mostly metal is left, Chris, his dad and Jackson are doing the clean up on the weekends!


And pigs that weren't in the barn fire were taking naps...

After we are done packing eggs we finish packing orders for Purple Porch Cooperative (PPC), we go to PPC every Wednesday, as a family to sell our meat, eggs and many other goodies and we are surrounded by sometimes up to 20 vendors doing the same.  The pickup location is at Good Shepherd Montessori .

The kids this summer during PPC
We have been blessed to be a part of this Coop - Chris is on the board.  Back in September 2009 I thought he was crazy put one more thing on his plate....but wow this is one time I am glad he didn't listen to me.

PPC is a group of people exactly like us...who believe it is important to know where your food comes from, how it is grown and help our your community by keeping the money in the community.  We have made many wonderful friendships with the producers, in fact it is hard to get Chris out of there.  Someone once said he is very chatty, well any of you who knows him, knows he doesn't say much unless he is passionate about it.

We get to meet the people who eat our food, they are like extended family to us.  In May it will be a year since PPC took off...and it is awesome for us as a family and for the Community.  We have many many producers all within 60 miles that make/raise their own goods, from meat, bread, cookies, vegetables, pizza, soup, spices, and many other items...so you won't find a banana at PPC. 
It was overwhelming the response we got from losing our barn...like a community reacts.  The day we lost the barn, we went that night to sell our food...because that would give us a couple more normal hours before letting the kids know what had happened. 
In the future I will get better pictures...we are always selling and forget to do it.  Each vendor has their own table and the member orders online the previous weekend or you can also pick up extra's that day.  You walk in the door a volunteer gives you your invoice and you walk around and get to talk to your local farmer.  How many times have you gone in Martins and the vegetable producer knew you by name and asked you how your broccoli was last week or did the butcher ask how was your Roast? You get the first two weeks of membership for free...check it out PPC!

Sorry for the rambling...I have had been wanting to post this and had to get it done so I could focus on other things...like my little boy who is home sick...but he is chasing his little sister around the house so I am wondering if perhaps he needed a mommy day.

Hope you have a favorite day of your week.

Thanks for reading.

Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Ya know. I know where you can get dwarf banana trees. They could be outside for the summer & inside a greenhouse for the winter & you could technically sell Bananas at PPC. Although they are dwarf Bananas, but still bananas.

    They also have dwarf lemon, dwarf lime, dwarf grapefruit, dwarf pomegranate, dwarf fig, dwarf tangerine & dwarf orange.


    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping Chris doesn't see this or I will be growing dwarf Bananas....seriously I will have him ask at the producers meeting if anyone is interested in trying to grow them this season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They take a couple of years to actually start producing bananas.. but still it would be cool.

    ReplyDelete