Saturday, January 30, 2010

Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup

This is the second time I have made this recipe....I have yet to take a picture, but this is what my daughter looks like after she eats it...



And that smile is worth me deboning chicken parts which I don't get very excited about.

Ingredients


1 3-1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut up, or 2 1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (I used one package of  Chicken backs and 1 package of Chicken necks)
8 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1-1/2 cups dried egg noodles (I actually use a whole bag of egg noodles)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.
2. Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from broth.
3. Bring broth to boiling. Stir in carrot and celery. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes. Stir in noodles. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes more or until noodles are tender but still firm. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.

4. Makes 8 servings (10 1/2 cups)

Great for the winter months and super easy... or else I wouldn't make it.

Have a great Weekend.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment